The vision of The Retreat At Covemont is to provide a place of rest, relaxation, and renewal to those who are “weary and heavy laden”.
We will do this by adhering to the following values: Superior Hospitality, Supportive Services, and Supreme Comfort.
The mission of The Retreat At Covemont is to offer vacationers, wanderers, and hurting people with a place to rediscover hope, peace, and joy.
By offering this place for experience, escapes, entertainment and education we believe there is healing and hope for all who come.
The Long and Winding Road
Winston Churchill is noted to have said that “success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” Should that be true, then my story could be a reflection of that maxim. This is neither the place or the method to share my full journey, but suffice it to say life has been a series of outward successes mixed with an assortment of inner struggles and failures. This has created a tapestry which frames the backdrop for everything that The Retreat At Covemont is growing to represent.
Several years ago now, my life came to a screeching halt. The world came crashing down, and the house of cards I created, laid strewn about with people I love in the wake of the aftermath. In the midst of that journey I came to discover, by the grace of God, something I had long been told but never seemed to learn. You cannot depend solely on yourself or your own wisdom and expect to succeed in life. This was one of a thousand lessons that awaited me during that season and has played a significant role in how this place came to be. I was completely broken, homeless, and at the mercy of others. I was forced to depend on God and others in a way I never had before. Their kindness and example served to inspire this vision and to them I am deeply indebted. As you may imagine it was humbling and humiliating. In all of that, I was given the gift of love, acceptance, and hope of restoration in a way I had not experienced before.
About a year or so into that journey I was laying in a hotel bed in a rough neighborhood in Jackson, Mississippi and the idea was born to have a place where people (especially men) can experience healing. The overwhelming gratitude for how I was helped by people was guiding my steps forward. I determined that I wanted to do something about it when the time arrived. At that point I started looking to my life-long dream of owning a home in the mountains. About that time I discovered the beauty of Wears Valley, Tennessee.
With the help of some newly found friends, I grew to not only admire the beauty of this valley but the untold beauty of the people that live here. I made friends, learned the area, and discovered another very real and present truth. Real Estate in this area is VERY hard to come by, and in 2021 prices were rising beyond my reach. One day in the early spring my phone rang, and it all changed. There was a property coming for sale that had been a rental property, and the owner was needing to liquidate it. I made an offer, not sure if I would get it, and well.. it was accepted.
Two and a half years of wandering this long and winding road of recovery and restoration, I now had a home to begin to pay it forward. A time to invest in a community and beyond, and have an impact on others for many years. Here is just a taste of what is to come.
The Retreat At Covemont has a goal of not only being a place for getaways and vacationers. It will serve a much greater purpose and mission.
- 20% of the allotted time available for the properties is going to be donated to helping hurting people find hope once again.
- We will fully restore the current facilities and look to expand the sleeping capacity to host reunions, retreats, and events.
- We will host local art and support local business, donating proceeds from the sale of art to charities.
- We will expand our entertainment spaces to have group gatherings for times of spiritual renewal according to Christian values.
- We will look to provide exceptional service and facilities that maximize the ability of our guests to discover all that God wants to show them about His amazing love.
- Provide a place for small weddings, modest events and retreats for the community.
- Formulate a 501C3 Non-Profit Organization to help support the healing and restoration of people through the retreat.
Here are a few facts about the owner.
- A Native of New Jersey and Raised in Daytona Beach, FL.
- Lived for 11 years in Raleigh, NC
- Lived for combined 15 years in Birmingham Alabama and loves the Alabama Crimson Tide.
- Served for 25+ years in vocational ministry both full-time and part-time.
- For the past 6 years has served to help grow companies and leaders through executive training, leadership development, and one-one coaching. Visit two sites: RedShift | Dream4
- The Retreat is not just an investment and ministry. It is also my personal home.
- Is a classically trained musician and supporter of the arts.